Vegetable and Fruit:
The recordings of the Countryside Conservancy and the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) webinar series are available online. Click on the links to play the recordings:
Effective Cover Cropping Systems for Specialty Crop Farms
Improving Efficiency on Your Organic Farm
Building Mutually Profitable Relationships with Independent Chefs and Restauranteurs
Advanced Weed Management Techniques
A Systematic Approach for Increasing Fruit and Vegetable Quality on Your Farm
- Farmers, get ready for the new season with a GAPs Online Produce Safety Course from Cornell University! Learn from the comfort of home with an online course. (Feb. 2010)
- Ohio State Food Safety Program has a number of documents for farmers and producers, including guides on food safety for fruits and vegetables, farmers’ markets and more. See the OSU Food Safety Guides.
- Good Agricultural Practices and Food Safety Training Materials
- Details of the National Leafy Green Marketing Agreement
To read testimony given at the hearings that have been taking place around the country: Read Testimony . The Ohio Produce Growers And Marketers Association is working on its own agreement for Ohio that will include options for diversified small farms. Visit their website for more information. www.opgma.org
- 07/21/2009 – Scientist to Ohio’s Produce Growers: Be Proactive, Set Own Food Safety Standards. Read the article
- Ohio Cottage Food Rule: 901:3-20-01 Criteria and definitions for cottage food operations.
- Cottage Food and Basic Required Food Labeling Components
- Slide Show Presentation: Farmers’ Markets, Cottage Food & Food Processing Establishments – The session covers food safety and labeling requirements for home produced food to be sold at farmers’ markets in Ohio. Learn what foods can be produced at home and which require a licensed facility and requirements for Market Managers.
Food Safety (for all vendors):
- The Rutgers Food Innovation Center’s new online professional development course: Best Practices for Farmers Market Farmers and Vendors – These comprehensive, online courses provide the practical guidance that vendors and sponsors need to assure successful market operations.
- Creating a web site with WordPress for Markets, Farmers and Vendors: a basic guide through the basics of creating a free web site and customizing it for your market or farm.
- Building Mutually Profitable Relationships with Independent Chefs and Restauranteurs (Webinar Recording, by OEFFA and Countryside Conservancy)